"Non-eligible worker claim to union benefits"

I had a client ask me a question I had never heard. He had employees that worked for him and they were members of the union at their facility. The client decided to use e-verify and found out that these employees are not eligible to work in USA. They went to union because they have money in the profit sharing / retirement fund. He is open to pay them but how does he do that? or can he?

Respond to this post

You must log in or sign up for an account in order to respond in the HRInsights community.

The company cannot pay them directly. There are laws that govern retirement plans. The employer should contact whomever the administrator of the plan is and the administrator will handle it from there. In many union cases the employer is not very involved in the plan. There most interaction is that they pay a flat fee to the union each month or pay period for each employee.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012
by mbinks - 0 Votes - Flag this post

Score: 0

Vote »

Posted anonymously
on Feb 14, 2012

Share Share On Twitter